Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine's Day French Toast

I believe in the power of traditions.  They can act as a cord that ties a family together.  One that is tight enough to pull people together from hundreds of miles but loose enough to make participation a choice.  My mom always made an effort sure our family celebrated special days and now that I'm married I have been searching for new traditions for 'my' family.

I've never been a breakfast person but lately I've been dreaming about making French Toast.  Growing up we went to church and then out to brunch each Sunday.  While others were ordering omelete's, hash browns and whole wheat toast (another family tradition) I would order a burger with a malt.  Maybe potato pancakes mostly because I am addicted to ketchup ("Ketchup Queen" is a nickname of mine and no, I don't want to make my own, I prefer Heinz).  While I still prefer the types of breakfast foods you top with salsa and sour cream, I am starting to appreciate the sweeter side of breakfast and homemade French Toast seemed like a sweet way to celebrate Valentine's Day.

After scanning my usual sites and cookbooks for recipes I fell onto another of Heidi's keepers from 101 Cookbooks.  Heidi sold me by the way she cuts her French Toast into heart shapes and I announced to my husband that we had a new tradition.  

I sent the word out to my mom and dad that we were going to have a special holiday brunch and like all good moms my mom knew just what I needed.  This year my Valentine's gift included a heart shaped cookie cutter.  I didn't get a picture of the final product but here is a work in progress snapshot.



Valentine's Day French Toast

Original recipe found at 101 Cookbooks here.

We had a crowd so I doubled the original recipe.  For a first timer the toughest part was making sure the FT in the pan didn't burn along with dunking and prepping the next batch of bread.  Thankfully my mom organized the rest of the meal (fruit, hash browns, sausage).  By next year I'll be swinging this feast on my own!

butter or oil for the pan

2 eggs

1 can evaporated milk
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt

18 slices cinnamon raisin or english muffin bread (cut into hearts or, more traditionally, triangles)

1.  Heat griddle or frying pan to medium hot and butter or oil generously.  Continue to butter pan in between each batch of FT.
2.  Beat egg with a whisk or a fork.
3.  Add milk, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Mix thoroughly.
4.  Dip into egg and milk mixture.
5.  Brown on both sides on a well-greased griddle or frying pan.
6.  Serve with syrup or if feeling very festive, top with whipped cream, strawberries and chocolate shavings.

Serves 5-6.  Refrigerate leftovers and eat within a few days.

I hope you all had a lovely Valentine's Day and let's keep the love flowing all year!

1 comment:

  1. How cute, I love everything heart shaped :) I am a fan of french toast maybe I will make these one morning just because I love Collin, MAYBE...if he's lucky ^_^ Sorry I haven't sent over the recipe yet I will do it tonight!

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Generic License.