Monday, February 8, 2010

Spicy Green Beans

As previously discussed, winter in Wisconsin is not for quitters...and right around February I feel like quitting. The dogs have to be walked three times a day and those walks have been getting shorter and shorter lately. I have even resurrected the "let's build a fence" conversation from last winter to avoid going outside as much as possible.


But today, even as 9 inches of snow is predicted to fall in the next 12 hours, I have some hope for spring. The sun was shining when I got home from work at 5:00 and I swear I heard a duck quacking this morning. If I squint and look at the blue sky I can pretend it is already April, which truly isn't that far away.

In keeping with my spring theme I decided to salvage some week old green beans that have been languishing in the fridge with the recipe below. I'm so glad I did, the sauce and the flavor hid the fact that the beans should have been eaten sooner. And what a great trick to have up my sleeve for the next time that happens...





Spicy Green Beans

I found this recipe on 101 Cookbooks (here) and Heidi gives credit to being inspired by a recipe in Anna Getty's Anna Getty's Easy Green Organic, to be published by Chronicle Books, March 2010. Good recipes travel well.

Heidi recommends slicing the beans into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces and I would agree with her. The sauce is better able to coat the beans and it gives the dish some extra character.

I considered leaving out the golden raisins but I decided to practice what I preach and follow the recipe exactly the first time and I'm glad I did. They add a subtle sweetness that balances the spicy creaminess of the beans. From the original recipe I did cut the amount of butter called for in half and I used light sour cream to cut calories. 

1 pound green beans, sliced into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces

1/2 cup golden raisins

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp garlic, minced
1/2 medium yellow onion, finely diced

3 bay leaves

1/3 cup white wine

1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1 tablespoon unsalted butter

1/3 cup light sour cream
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro

salt and pepper to taste

1. Cook the green beans in a pot of well-salted boiling water for a couple of minutes so they lose their raw edge. Drain and dunk in ice-cold water to stop the cooking. Drain again and set aside.
2. In a small bowl pour2 cups of golden raisins with the leftover boiling water from the beans. Cover for five minutes, drain and set aside.
3. Heat your largest skillet over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the oil, garlic, onion, and bay leaves. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the onions and garlic start to brown just a bit.
4. Add the wine and cook until it has mostly evaporated.
5. Carefully remove the bay leaves. Stir in the paprika, cumin, coriander, curry powder, salt, crushed red pepper flakes until onion/garlic mixture is covered.
6. Add raisins and stir until raisins are heated through. Add the butter and green beans.  Stir until the butter has melted.
7. Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream, almonds and cilantro. Taste and add more salt and some pepper if you like.
8. Serve and enjoy.


Serves 4 to 6. Refrigerate any unused portion and eat within several days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Generic License.