Sunday, March 7, 2010

Not much cooking going on here...

This week we have turned this....


into this...



and hopefully we will have it turned back into a semi-functioning bathroom by the time the Oscar's are over tonight so I hope you can forgive me for not having very much time to post.

What I did end up making yesterday was this banana bread - which was light, delicious but I could hardly taste the coconut.  I didn't have the demerara sugar for the topping so I substituted turbinado sugar (you can find it at Whole Foods) which was excellent.  Think of how big sugar crystals crunch and combine that with a soft, mild banana bread and if that makes your mouth water then this is the recipe for you. 

I know some of you may have noticed my constant linking to Molly and Heidi's food blogs and I must admit I have been relying heavily on them because they are my favorite blogs to read.  I love Molly's personal approach to cooking and the way she writes makes me feel like I'm right in the kitchen with her discussing the best way to peel a squash.  Heidi's recipes intimidate me a little more, mostly because she is always throwing things like farrow and kale into the mix, but her recipes seem super healthy and I'm working on tackling more of them.  Next weekend I'm going to branch out and try this banana bread recipe from the seven spoons blog for a little variety.

This brings me to today's recipe which surprisingly does not come from a blog but from a good friend.  Lacey had me over last weekend and she made me this salad which was so simple but filling.  It is a perfect salad to welcome Spring (50 degrees this weekend folks) and would make an excellent side dish for a picnic...which I intend to do once 2 feet of snow is melted in my backyard. 



Broccoli Cauliflower Salad

Lacey was nice enough to feed me and share her recipe with me.  This crunchy sweet cold salad is a great side dish to any meal (okay - not breakfast) and is easy to make.

1/2 -1 head of cauliflower
2 or 3 bunches of broccoli
1 small red onion, small dice

1/2 cup mayo (I used fat-free)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbls vinegar

1/2 cup shredded cheddar

1.  Cut up broccoli and cauliflower into bite size chunks and discard most of the stem (you can save the stems and cut up for a future stirfry if you don't want to waste them).  If you are like me and want to rush through this step remember a little patience here will go a long way.  Smaller chunks will increase the eat-a-bility of this salad (is that a word?). 
2.  Combine florets and diced red onion into a medium bowl.
3.  Add mayo, sugar and vinegar to a small bowl and whisk together to combine.  The mixture should be runny and taste sweet.
4.  Stir mayo mixture over florets and onion and refrigerate for 2 hours to combine the flavors.
5.  Sprinkle shredded cheese on top and serve.

Serves 4 -6.  This salad keeps nicely to a second day.

Here's an interesting fact - like fingerprints every human has a unique tongue print. 

Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. I have a similiar recipe for a brocolli salad with bacon, unsalted sunflower seeds and a similar dressing. I know you don't eat meat, but try adding a lot of sunflower seeds to the salad above - maybe with the salt to offset the sweetness since yours doesn't have bacon to contribute the saltiness.
    ~Andrea

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Generic License.