Saturday, January 16, 2010

Scrapbooking and Peanut Butter Coconut Curry

I think the best recipes come from friends. The tried and true, the keepers, the bird in the hand, the honey crisp apple of recipes. That is the case with Peanut Butter Coconut Curry we made tonight which came to me from my best friend Rebecca, who got it from her mom, who had gotten it from her sister, who...and that's where my trail runs cold.

Before we get to today's eats I have to say I just spent a day and a half at my first scrapbooking weekend and I loved it. The women, the creativity, the food, the food, the food...I felt like I was taking advantage of so many people's "best" recipes. I also love the idea of women not apologizing for taking a weekend for themselves to spend time with old friends and make new friends.  I was working on a heritage album of pictures from my grandparents and so appreciate the ideas and support I received.

I myself brought Molly's Banana Bread with Chocolate and Cinnamon Sugar found here to the scrapbooking event.  If you are in the mood for a food blog, take a few minutes and check Orangette out. Molly has never disappointed me with a recipe and I love her stories around each one (since I'm reading her book right now too there are a lot of recipes being tried in my household).

But without further adieu, here is the recipe my husband, Doug, and I whipped up tonight (truthfully, Doug did the whipping and he impressed me with his ability to convert teaspoons into tablespoons to avoid dirtying another utensil). Chicken or shrimp would pair nicely with this traditional Thai curry although we think it is filling without a protein mixed in. I also like to serve this with a side of broccoli or green beans and a splash of sriracha sauce. Note that it may not look like much in the picture but it tastes divinely smooth and delicious.



Peanut Butter Coconut Curry

1 tsp olive oil
1 small red onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 1/2 tsp)
1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
4 tsp fresh ginger, minced (I have used ginger powder in pinch also)

4 tsp curry powder
4 tsp cumin

1 can light coconut milk (13.5 ounces)
5 tbls creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
5 tsp tamari (substitute soy sauce if you have no tamari)
4 tsp honey
1/8 cup lime juice
1/8 cup ketchup
3/4 cup water

1. Heat oil over medium in a large frying pan or wok.
2. Saute onion, garlic, serrano pepper and ginger until onion is translucent.
3. Add curry powder and cumin and saute over low for one minute.
4. Add coconut milk, peanut butter, cilantro, tamari, honey, lime juice, ketchup and water. Bring sauce to a boil whisking often to combine ingredients into a smooth texture.
5. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

Serve over rice. Makes about 5-6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Generic License.